The following is a list of resources available to help you learn more about the veterans on our list. If in your search you discover new information we hope you'll share it with us.
The information on this list isn't linkable. However you can use the key words to find information on the resources online. The eventual launching of the web version of this website will include live links to this content and more. Keep on the look out for more information.
Address: 629 Poyntz Ave., Manhattan, KS 66502 Phone: 785-776-4741
- World War II Veterans Oral History Project, DVDs (151 interviews). Created by the Riley County Historical Society.
- Newpaper Microfilm Collection. Includes all local newspapers published during World War II.
Specific books to check out include:
Manhattan in the 20th Century: A Pictorial Collection, published by the Manhattan Mercury (R 978.1).
A History of Manhattan, Kansas, by Jack, Lowell (978.1).
Fort Riley: Citadel of the Frontier West, by William McKale (R 978.1).
Fort Riley: Images of America, by William McKale (R 978.1).
Address: 2005 Claflin Rd., Manhattan, KS 66502 Phone: 785-565-6495
- Marriage licenses, probate and naturalization records.
- Obituaries 1993-2015.
- Kansas Kin Newsletter 1963-present.
- Index of Historic Newspaper Surnames.
Address: 2309 Claflin Rd., Manhattan, KS 66502 Phone: 785-565-6490
The Riley County Historical Society and Museum’s Fay N. & Dora Seaton Memorial Library and Taylor & Charlson Archives focuses on Riley County topics through books, monographs, manuscripts, photographs, marriage records, tax rolls, maps, city directories, subject files, school materials, scrapbooks, club and organization records, business records, family files, obituaries, and court records, as well as other materials. The non-circulating collection is available by appointment. Please contact us by telephone, letter or through our web sites.
Address: 1117 Mid-Campus Dr. Nth, Manhattan, KS 66506 Phone: 785-532-3014
- Digital and physical collection of the Kansas State Collegian Newspaper.
Address: 1101 Poyntz Ave., Manhattan, KS 66502 Phone: 785-565-6490
Address: 110 Courthouse Plaza, Manhattan, KS 66502 Phone: 785-537-6340
- Property Deeds and Marriage Licenses.
Address: 205 Henry Ave., Ft. Riley, KS 66442 Phone: 785-239-2737
- Collection of photographs and documents related to the history of Fort Riley.
Address: 200 SE 4th St., Abilene, KS 67410 Phone: 785-263-6700
- Composite Collection of World War II Participants and Contemporaries. Archive of donated materials from numerous individual donors, including 8 veterans listing Manhattan as their residence.
- Inauguration Ceremonies of Milton Eisenhower as President of Kansas State College Broadcast over Farm & Home Hour ( September 30, 1943, NBC).
- From Horse Cavalry to B-29: The Kansas Homefront During WWII. Instructional collection (TB) created by Emporia State University.
Address: 8601 Adelphi Rd., College Park, MD 20740-6001 Phone: 1-866-272-6272
- Digital and physical collection of enlistment and service records for all military service men and women.
Address: P.O. Box 37012 MRC 154 Washington, D. C. 20013-7012 Phone: 1-202-633-2240
- Digital and physical collections of material related to World War II.
On the Web
Findagrave.com - An essential tool in our research on the veterans featured on this site.
Archive.org - A non-profit virtual library housing millions of free books, movies, software, music, websites, and more. This includes nearly every K-State Collegian and Royal Purple Yearbook.
Ancestry.com - Public access available at the Manhattan Public Library.
Newspapers.com - Public access available at the Manhattan Public Library.